Friday, February 25, 2005

I really thought I'd heard it all...until now

Hello dear readers,

I must admit that I started writing a really "spiritual" column. I put it to draft and went about my evening routine. The phone rang. I didn't recognize the number on the caller ID, but it was local so I thought I'd be polite and answer. I shouldn't have.

"Witnessing" has reached an all-time low, in my opinion. The caller was someone in our town doing telemarketing witnessing. Yep, you heard me right. Telemarketing. It started with a slick script to get your attention and then, boom, right into the scripture quoting. Good grief! We're not even safe from christian telemarketers! And, of course, it was right at dinner time.

Now, don't misunderstand me. The Bible is very clear about being able to give an answer to someone who asks you about your faith. I think the operative word here is asks. Can anyone honestly believe that they will endear themselves to the listener by kamikaze phone witnessing? PUHLEEZ! Since they interrupted my dinner, I am considering calling them back at breakfast tomorrow to convert them to lesbianism.

Ughhh!

CLG-B

No comments: