Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

My dear readers,

Today's writing is in red to symbolize all of the blood shed by courageous men and women in defense of the freedoms we hold so very dear. On Saturday, my partner and I went to a National Cemetery near us and helped to place flags on all of the graves. It was such a moving experience. To read all of the names of the soldiers buried there; honor their spouses and sometimes their children. At one point, I was simply overcome with emotion. I took off my ballcap, placed it gently across my heart in salute, and wept through a prayer of thankfulness for each of their sacrifice. You see, I know in my heart of hearts that I enjoy the life I do today because of those brave men and women.

And yet, I am deeply troubled by our presence in Iraq. Our president has created a civil war where thousands are dead, tens of thousands maimed or injured, and nobody is safe to walk the streets even during daylight. Although I honor our men and women in uniform for their selfless service, I cannot help but hurt for those families who are now dealing with the dead and horribly maimed. All of this is because of an egotistical president who is unwilling to take responsibility for the mess he's made.

On this Memorial Day, say thank you to those in uniform and offer your sincere appreciation for their sacrifices. And while you're at it, thank their families who kept the home fires burning. Believe me, they made great sacrifices, as well. And if you know a gay or lesbian soldier who is hiding in the closet and yet still carrying the torch of freedom, let them know what brave soldiers they are.

Without the selflessness, courage, bravery, and intestinal fortitude of these wonderful men and women, I would not be able to fly the flag of freedom today.

God bless America. God bless all of the governments on the Earth. And continue to pray for peace everywhere.

CLG-B

No comments: