Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Happy Holidays

















Blessings to you all, gentle readers, during this holiday season. Thank you for sharing your time with me and for all of your comments. It is an honor to share my thoughts with you all.

As many know, my day job is as a pet trainer for PetSmart. Because of that, I have the joy of saying, "Happy Holidays" to a lot of folks. In the deep South, them's fighting words.

Any use of "Happy Holidays" will, on more than one occasion, lead to a confrontation with someone who believes there is a "war on Christmas." I've been hollered at, forced to acknowledge Christmas before someone would leave my checkout line, told I was "the devil" or "satan" for not saying, "Merry Christmas." The list goes on and on. How in the world did we get from having respect for another's holy days to a "war on Christmas?" It's so not about ignoring Christmas! It's about being respectful of someone else's beliefs or holy days. Good heavens, people!!

I just don't understand all the militant attitudes by Christians. Forcing someone to submit to Christmas is about as encouraging as scaring them to Jesus during Halloween! Do the Christian fundamentalists honestly believe that this will convert people to their personal belief? How could it?

In a way, I'm glad the Christmas holiday has come and gone. When I go back to work tomorrow, I won't have to worry about a rabid fundamentalist Christian going off on me for saying, "Happy Holidays!" It will take a good bit of stress away from working during this time of year. Fortunately, "Happy New Year" is much less threatening to the religious right. Dear Goddess, I hope they don't find a way to make it a religious holiday or work will be unbearable!

My wish this holiday season is that we could all stand, hand in hand, heart to heart, and honor each other's traditions without the need to convert; without the need to force our beliefs on another. So, as you go through this holiday season, take time to wish someone who does not share your belief a Happy Chanukkah, Blessed Yule, Happy Kwanzaa, etc. What is so awful about that? Does it detract from your celebration, your holy day? Heavens no! But what it does do is recognize the spiritual in each person, respecting and celebrating with instead of against.

So for this coming year, consider giving respect to other's spiritual paths; honoring their holy days. Avoid forcing your personal spiritual beliefs on another person and take time within yourself to worship in the way you would do.

Happy Holidays and wishes for a prosperous and blessed New Year!

No comments: