Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hurricane Katrina - Eight Months Later






Hi all...

I wanted to share with you our latest excursion to the MS Gulf Coast. We had to go to the VA in Biloxi on Friday and since we had some time to spare in between appointments, I suggested we take a ride down Hwy. 90 (the Beach Rd.) between Biloxi and Gulfport. Now, mind you, it has been eight (count 'em--eight) months since Hurricane Katrina slammed into the MS Gulf Coast, with the eye of the storm bringing a direct hit on Bay St. ouis/Waveland.
While driving down the beach road, I was overwhelmed by what I saw. Eight
months later, the roadway is still a mess. Houses are either a pile of sticks or an empty slab. People are living in tents in driveways or trailers in the yards of houses which look like they were put through a confetti shredder. Some houses have been razed. That's good, I guess. But, overall, I didn't see that much progress.

Where are all those contractors? You know, the ones supposedly paid for by FEMA? And what about the crooked insurance companies that took everyones' premiums for years and years and then bailed when it looked like they were going to have to pay?

I know, I promised a spiritual journey throughout the whole Katrina nightmare. And I know I have shared my spirit with you. But, this is simply anger at how we can live in "America" and be in this position. I fail to understand why we pour money (which we don't really have, by the way) into other countries and wars, when our own people suffer.

I think that is the base of this indignation. America, as I knew it, no longer exists. We used to care about our people, provide for their needs. Now social security is virtually non-existent. We are in an illegal war of opportunity to split a sovreign nation and control their oil. We are threatening another sovreign nation so our (p)resident can feel "yeehaw" on the inside. Our people are starving. Our veterans are living in the streets, homeless after serving their country honorably and being failed by a VA health system which has been raped monetarily.

What is the answer? My heart cries out in desperation to God for deliverance. This must be how Moses felt when he saw the Children of God being broken by a perverse and evil king. This must be what Jesus felt when he wanted to gather Jerusalem to his bosom and provide them with comfort. I'm not saying I'm anything like Moses or Jesus. But I am one person with a broken heart toward all people on this planet. White. Black. Yellow. Red. Brown. Young. Old. Rich. Poor. It matters not.

As Christians we are called to care for our brother; to be our brother's keeper! How can we say that when we continue to support this kind of evil against the world by a government which is corrupt? Unless godly people stand up against the "religious" and begin to follow our call to care for the widows and orphans, heal the sick, clothe the naked, and feed the hungry, we WILL NOT see the fullness of the glory of Almighty God. That is truth.

So, I say to those in authority: Get over yourselves and your egos. End this lawless war and return to those we have wronged that they may have their lives back. Take care of the people of America with tax relief and affordable healthcare. And bring relief to those in areas ravaged by natural disaster!

May God have mercy on us. Please continue to join me in prayer for the people along the Gulf Coast for relief from their struggle to survive. Please continue to join me in prayer that the truly godly would rise up in strength and bring the balm of the gospel to the hurting hearts and lives in our land. And please, please continue to pray for our administration that God would see our plight, hear our prayers, and bring us a deliverer--again.

May you truly understand the call to care.

CLG-B

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maitri/sets/72057594136777370/
If you're interested in seeing pictures, try this link.

No comments: