Sunday, May 21, 2006

Opposing Civil Rights is Offensive!


Dear Gentle Readers....

I am offended by those who would deny us our civil rights. Check out the link. (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/NEWS02/605210302/1009)

You see, June 6th we will have the opportunity to vote against using our Constitution as a club of discrimination. That is our opportunity to express our displeasure with the current movement among politicians to pander to the religious right. That is our opportunity to say to our elected leaders, "Enough is enough!" That is our opportunity to stop this train and secure civil rights for ourselves, our partners, and our children.

I am offended that my elected leaders would seek to demoralize me and minimalize me in the light of the Constitution. I am offended that anyone would tell me who I am, what I am, and whether I am a fit parent. I am offended that my partner, who served nearly 15 years in the military, is told she can die for her country, but she can't live for it and enjoy basic civil rights granted to heterosexuals--simply by virtue of whom she loves! My friends, I am offended. I am offended by religious leaders spewing hate in the guise of love. I am offended by political leaders who would use us as political footballs, pandering to the religious right. I am offended by an administration who, regardless of their moral failures, would impose their fake morality on others. I am offended by a system which would deny me more than 1000 civil rights simply because of whom I love; who I AM.

I am offended, my friends, and you should be, too!

I try not to be an alarmist, however this situation we face is in need of one who cries in the wilderness! All we have to do is read the history of Nazi Germany and open our eyes! The Jews. The homosexuals. The infirmed. The mentally ill. They were all put on trains to their death just because they were different.

Do you hear the rumble of the train's wheels? You should. If you fail to vote on June 6th (and exercise one of the few civil rights you have), you will certainly hear them. If our Constitution, state as well as federal, is used as a tool of discrimination to deny an entire segment of the population access to the very same civil liberties as others, we will hear the rumble of the wheels.

Take time to pray for our government and our leaders. Take time to write your congressional representatives and senators. Take time to sign petitions and walk the picket lines. Take time to stand up to self-righteous bigots at work who would belittle you and joke behind your back. Be offended!

And then take time to go to the polls on June 6th and vote against using YOUR Constitution as a battering ram; a document of discrimination toward an entire segment of our citizenry. If not, you will certainly begin to hear the train wheels rumble.

May God prick your heart to be involved. As one great person said, "All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

CLG-B

No comments: